Reminder: Compliance Monitoring (for the 2017/18 FY year) starts in June (2018) and runs through September.
STC Blasts, Bulletins & Notices
Annual Training Program
Annual training is mandatory for all full participation eligible staff that have completed core training. Annual training is specialized or refresher training that develops or enhances job-related skills. Flexibility is permitted in course content and method of instruction to meet changing conditions and local needs.
Program Concept: Annual training should be developed or selected based on organizational or individual needs related to the employee’s job. Due to the complexity of job assignments, some staff may need training that far exceeds minimum state standards. Participating departments are encouraged to exceed the minimum training standards when necessary to realize the goal of increased job skills and competency.
The table below lists the various employment classifications eligible for STC participation and the minimum number of hours of annual training that must be attended after completion of core training.
Journey Probation Officer 40 hours
Journey Juvenile Corrections Officer 24 hours
Journey Adult Corrections Officer 24 hours
Probation Supervisor 40 hours
Supervising Juvenile Corrections Officer 40 hours
Supervising Adult Corrections Officer 24 hours
Manager* 40 hours
Administrator* 40 hours
*Managers and administrators of jails or adult institutions may only need to comply with a minimum of 24 annual training hours per year if the participating department has requested a variance to Title 15, CCR, Section 184 (a) (7) and (8) and the variance has been approved by the BSCC.
Certified Training Providers
Core Training Program
- Adult Corrections Officer Core manual
- Adult Corrections Officer Knowledge and Skills Maps
- Adult Corrections Officer Physical Tasks Manual
- Policy and Procedure Manual for Core Courses
- Juvenile Corrections Core Manual
- Juvenile Corrections Officer Knowledge and Skills Maps
- Juvenile Corrections Officer Physical Tasks Manual
- Manager/Administrator (MACC) Core Course Curriculum and Registration
- Probation Officer Core Manual
- Supervisor Core Course Curriculum
Resources and STC offered training for Core Training Managers/Coordinators/Instructors
- Core Coordinator Regional Meetings
- Core Instructor Development Course
- Testing in Core Courses-workbook
STC Core Field Representatives:
If you need assistance or have a question regarding Core please contact your STC Field Representative or the Officer of the Day @ (916) 445-5078.
FAQ's - STC Program - PDF
Field Representative Assignments
Find Certified STC Training, Conferences & STC Events
STC Delivered Training Courses
STC delivered courses can be tailored to your agency’s needs. Please contact your STC field representative for more information.
- Instructor Development Course
- Lesson Plan Development Course
- Testing in STC Core Course
- Training Managers Course
STC Certified Conferences & Events
- The Training Managers Seminar
- Core Coordinators Regional Meetings (included in the meeting is 4 hours of STC Training)
- "The Keys to Inmate Management"
Other Training Resources
- STC Learning Portal
- Please give us your feedback on any STC certified courses.
(all feedback will remain confidential)
Lesson Plan Resources
Lesson Plan Policy - Effective July, 2013
Best practices indicate detailed lesson plans enhance the development and delivery of training. Lesson plans help ensure quality training delivery by providing detailed information about the delivery of instructional objectives, instructional methodology, testing, and classroom activities. Please see samples & templates below.
#Note: STC’s lesson plan templates are provided only as an “option” and are not mandatory to use when creating your Lesson Plans. Feel free to use your own Lesson Plan templates or formatting if you so desire. All courses (annual and core) must have a written lesson plan. A copy of the lesson plans must be made available to the STC Field Representative upon request.
Lesson Plan Templates
2 column Lesson Plan Template - PDF
(Appropriate for courses without a testing component)
- 2 column Lesson Plan Sample
- 4 column Lesson Plan Sample
- Actual Lesson Plan Example A
- Actual Lesson Plan Example B
- Actual Lesson Plan Example C
- Actual Lesson Plan Example D
- Lesson Plan Check List - PDF Word
- Additional Resource Handout - PDF
- NICIC Gov Training Development Resources - PDF
* For further information or scheduling of a Lesson Plan course which can be tailored to your agency’s needs please contact:
Please contact your STC Field Representative
Modified Community Correctional Facilities (MCCF)
CDCR has entered contracts with the public agencies [California Penal Code, (P.C.) 2910] and private agencies [P.C. 6250] to provide housing, sustenance and supervision for inmates that are eligible for placement in contracted facilities. Inmates are close to their release dates and are low-level offenders.
The Board of State and Community Corrections (BSCC) is responsible for establishing required minimum training standards for local corrections personnel as well as specifications and standards for local corrections personnel.
Standards and Training for Corrections (STC), a division of the BSCC, provides a standardized, state-coordinated, selections and training system for local corrections personnel [P.C. 6025-6036 and 6040-6044]. The intent of the law is to establish a program designed to improve the skills and raise the level of competence of local corrections personnel in the community correctional facilities.
Job Analysis and Standards Revision Project
- Policy and Procedure Manual for Participating Agencies (updated 6/12/2017)
- STC Implements New Training Compliance Policy (effective Jan 1, 2014)
Resources for Training Professionals
- ASTD -National -The world's largest professional association dedicated to the training and development field - View Link
- ASTD –Sacramento Chapter -View Link
- National Institute of Corrections - View Link
- Personnel Testing Council – Northern California - View Link
- Personnel Testing Council – Southern California - View Link
- Western Region Intergovernmental Personnel Assessment Council - View Link
- Type 1 Jail Training Groups - View Link
- Regional Training Associations - View Link
- Yahoo Group for Core Training Managers/Coordinators (STCCORE) - View Link
- Google Group for Training Managers (STCTM) - View Link
Selection Standards Information
- Medical Screening Adult Corrections Officer
- Medical Screening Juvenile Corrections Officer
- Medical Screening Probation Officer
- Hearing Screening Guidlines for Adult Corrections Officers
- Hearing Screening Guidlines for Juvenile Corrections Officers
STC has developed two social networking groups to assist in the exchange of information between STC annual training managers and STC core coordinators and core instructors. The groups were created to promote information sharing throughout the State. It is designed to query other training managers or core coordinators for advice/information related specifically to selection and training issues. The e-groups websites will also contain many other valuable resources geared toward training managers and core coordinators. View more information
Standards and Training for Corrections
- Become a New STC Provider
- Keys Conference 2019
- Training Manager's Seminar (TMS)
- Manager Administrator Core Course (MACC) Schedule and Registration
- STC Event & Training Calendar